I have spent much of the week (whilst not at work, or asleep, or just wanting to be asleep) prancing around the kitchen being creative. Which has all been very educational, if pretty much previously unheard of.
The test cakes baked on Sunday ended up looking like this:
Rather nice, I think that you'll agree. Although apparently people prefer buttercream filling in chocolate cake rather than cream... And:
Lesson 1 - when recipe calls for half of the coffee mixture to be added to the icing to make coffee buttercream, probably best not to add the whole thing. Because that's COFFEE buttercream...
Moving on. The final cakes - for Thursday's Colossal Cake Sale - looked rather like this:
Lesson 2 - Victoria sponge can look as perfect as you like - but if the cream is starting to turn, no one will eat it (well, they shouldn't, anyway).
Lesson 3 - probably best not to randomly decide to make a cherry and almond cake without cherries and with insufficient almonds. Although, it tastes OK with sultanas, it's a bit dry and crumbly...
Lesson 4 - a simple chocolate cake (with buttercream filling this time) cannot compete with a chocolate cake smothered in chocolate fudge buttercream. People eat cake with their eyes first, damn them!!
Anyway, I'm all creatived out, now. And I need to stop making cake, as this ultimately leads to me eating cake. And after a whole week of that, I rather suspect I've just doomed myself to months of hard-core exercise to recover... *sigh*
:o)
Today's stats
No time, no time! I have been communing with my muse!
No comments:
Post a Comment