Sunday, 30 December 2012

69. Indentured slavery

So, you get asked to play a role in an important person's wedding, and you're thrilled. Pleased. Proud. Such an honour!

If you're me, you then can only do one thing: rush out get a book and start the research! Book number 1 arrived today - specific advice on how to perform my important role.

Huh.

Well, the book confirms that it is indeed an honour. In fact, you are only allowed to turn down this honour for an "acceptable" reason: one of those listed is, and I quote, "a previous liaison" with one of those parties getting married. Which made me laugh.... Particularly since just hating one of them is NOT an acceptable reason... So now you know.

It appears that my new role dates from pagan times, when evil spirits were thought to attend wedding ceremonies: by surrounding the marrying couple with "look-a-likes" it was thought that the evil spirits would not be able to single out the happy couple. Hmmm.... Not just an honour, it appears, but a vital safety feature. Although I'm not sure that I find the role of potential sacrificial lamb quite so enticing...

It gets worse. It would appear that my new role requires me to become my friends (or, actually, friends') personal assistant, someone who can be relied on to chase quotes (?!) if required and also to keep them calm in times of stress. So my great role of honour is not only fraught with danger, but involves me taking on 2 more jobs on top of the one that I already have... Ooooh, the honour!

In order to successfully undertake my role I apparently have to be:
Organised (um...);
Calm (I can do this - manically, but it's do-able);
Enthusiastic (oh, dear);
Focused (ah, yes, can do);
Cooperative (well, I can give it a go);
Supportive (now this is just getting silly!).

So that's a lot of work ahead of me... On top of the desperate fitness regime... I feel quite fatigued already. Time for some rum and coke, I think!

(O_O)

Today's stats:
Cross-trainer - 30 mins, 4 miles [Level 5]
Pilates - 35 mins, DVD1

No comments:

Post a Comment