Wednesday, 26 December 2012

66. Saving the world, one fruit fly at a time...

Green is obviously the way forward. And recycling is a key element of making the future green (technically the present too, but we've all had out "I can't be bothered, I'll just throw this bit of cardboard in the general waste bin because the walk to the cardboard bin is too long" moments, haven't we?).

But. Food recycling? Fraught with issues...

Perhaps not for everyone. But I live alone, I'm travelling hither and thon, and housekeeping is not a speciality... So maybe I can't remember when I last took the food box to the food recycling bin (overly complex process, if you ask me). But there can't be that much food anyway as, you know, I live alone. And don't cook... Spare food / food waste in a sealed container - really, what could go wrong?

Well, this is where we discover a little-known fact about the humble fruit fly: they are inter-spatial travellers. Have a sealed box within which food resides? Not a problem, guvnor, we can get in there in a jiffy... And how did I discover this amazing capability of fruit flies? Well, I was tidying (I know - random!) and thought that I would check the contents of the food recycling box. BIG mistake!

Not only was it obvious that I had not emptied said box in a while (how am I supposed to remember these things?!) but also that the fruit flies had established something of a colony outpost (en route to world domination, of course). Tragically, opening the box allowed some of these fruit fly advance scouts to escape into the rest of my house.

So that was an entire day spent swiping at (and missing) teeny little flies that were particularly fond of flying past just at the corner of my eyes... Not only that, but the blasted find my computer screen amazingly attractive. That would be the touch-screen computer... Aggravating indeed, but also potentially quite embarrassing. How many police officers would go for the line "Ah, yes, well, you see, it wasn't me that was accessing that incredibly dodgy internet site, it was one of the fruit flies that have invaded my front room?"

I left them to it, dear reader, and sloped off for Christmas. I expect to return home to either a fruit-fly-free zone (they are inter-spatial travellers, after all), or a fully-functioning first-stage-of-the-revolution colony... Shall be intriguing to find out!

(@_@)

Today's stats:
Pilates - 45 mins (DVD1, oooh, dear - the nice American lady did not look impressed - might have left it a bit long between classes, there...)

No comments:

Post a Comment