So I'm trying to be more Zen about my travelling. Trying not to get so wound up about the fact that some people seem to be surprised when officials at the airport scanners ask them to take their jackets off (really? You miss the signs, the pictures, the annoying hologram woman....? Really?!?), and so forth. I shan't dwell on this (much) as it's sort of anti-Zen. And there's enough of that to come....
A small success has been achieved in terms of the "We know that many of you are frequent travellers, but we do ask that you do us the courtesy of giving your full attention to our short safety briefing" issue. You know, the fact that I appear to be the only person on any plane who actually pays any attention to this, up to and including reading the safety card (I'll admit noting and finding interesting the differences between the safety cards is geeky). Despite the fact that I'm pretty much word-perfect in the briefing for at least 3 different airlines... Anyway, the success was that when I was island-hopping round the Caribbean (did I mention that I'd been on holiday in the Caribbean recently?), I went off on my rant about people not paying attention (so rude!), etc. And was promptly designated the aircraft safety person as a result (who knew that such a vacancy existed?!).
Now, this might seem like my being taken advantage of (uh, or something) but I was actually comforted. I had a role. I was not merely being anal. And, crucially, my role meant that I had to pay attention whether anyone else did or not. Since my return I have taken this small measure of comfort with me on all subsequent flights.... It works for me, and I am soooo much calmer in the run-up to take-off, concentrating hard to ensure the safety of my fellow (frankly, ungrateful) passengers.
Sadly, I have yet to find something to calm me upon landing. Really, people, would it kill you to leave your 'phone off and stay in your seat at the very least until the fasten seat-belt sign goes off LIKE THE AIR STEWARD JUST TOLD YOU TO????!!!! My last landing, as the plane finally stopped rolling to a stop, the woman behind me felt the need to call someone just to say (literally) "We've just landed" and half the people in front of me bounced out of their seats for their bags AND THE ENGINES WERE STILL RUNNING!!!
I have to find some way to counteract this, as it simply can't be good for me to walk off every flight I take seething at the fact that people can't follow very simple instructions... Gah!!!! Suggestions?
(*_*)
Today's stats:
Christmas prep - eating and TV-watching... Was going to go to the gym now that I'm no longer ill. But didn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment