Sunday, 23 September 2012

42. The big chill

In my previous home, I had a very nice Worcester condensing combi boiler. It wasn't brand new, but it worked very nicely, and no trouble did I have for the 3 years that I lived there.

Now I live in a new build house. The Boiler is new. It's a condensing boiler - not a combi. And in the 2 and a half years that I have lived here it has done nothing but cause trouble. We would appear to be engaged in something of a cold (ha!) war, in fact. The stupid central heating/ hot water system has already had to be repaired twice. And now that the temperatures have dropped...

I caved last night - having promised myself that I would be strong and not turn on the central heating until the end of October - and tried to turn the heating on. Just for a bit. An hour or so. The hot water worked; the central heating not so much. So I wandered around bleeding radiators (3 were full of air. 3!) and tightening others (note - when fitting systems to new build houses, it would appear that everyone assumes that someone else will finish off the job properly. Which means that no one does...).

Nothing. Nada. Zip. I sit here, swaddled in more layers than any one person should be wearing indoors (and, I'll admit, if I move even a bit I break out in a sweat... But I'm trying to lounge on my sofa here!). Eating ice cream (damn you, G&T, for introducing me to mint leaves and choc chip ice cream!!) in the Russian style of keeping oneself warm when it's cold by eating even colder things...

Tomorrow, I 'phone someone to come and fix the stupid thing. And woe betide it if it's an expensive repair, as I lack the patience to do this annually and it could very well find itself becoming a former boiler/ central heating system/ whatever. So there!

:o(

Today's stats:
Went for a "run": see http://reluctantrunnerdiary.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment