Friday, 24 May 2013

115. Boris in the building

Today we welcome a new member of the family: Boris!

Boris is a bike, by the way, in case you were wondering. The new bike. The bike fit for cycling 100 miles in under 9 hours... He is, in many, many ways, a whole lot of bike.

Went to the bike shop to pick Boris up. Walked there. Obviously, I intended to walk back. Asked the bloke in the bike shop to strap the other things that I had bought to the bike to make it easier to walk it all home. He was kind enough to do so, but couldn't quite stop himself from looking at me like I was mental (OK, well, he might actually have laughed in my face, but in a nice way....). This is the third time that I have been to that shop and made an idiot of myself in front of the same sales assistant: either I can never go there again, or I can never shop anywhere else. Can't make up my mind...

Other than the safe arrival of Boris (he's dominating the hall at the moment - I can't let him into the kitchen, Aggie might teach him bad habits) the weekend hasn't started with a bang. G&T is taking an unscheduled break en route to coming here, and so I am spending my additional free time making the house messier rather than tidier as scheduled. Fingers crossed that the mighty train service gets its act together tomorrow...

Momentarily overcome at the arrival of Boris I did try to read some of the cycling handbooks/training guides that I have been collecting. First book was bombed out on page 7 (of 208). And I quote:

"In order to select the correct gears for your bike, an understanding of gearing is necessary."

OK, thinks I, concentration turned on, I'll give this a go (again).

"Bikes come with two or three front chainrings and eight, nine or ten cogs on the rear hub."

And I'm lost... I think the basic problem here is that we have different definitions of "understanding"...

Next!

:o)

Today's stats
Walking - 52 mins, 3.38 [off to the bike shop and back, gym and back] 

No comments:

Post a Comment