It often takes me a lot of effort and energy to do relatively simple things - like leave the house. Not that leaving the house is difficult in and of itself, but it depends why I'm trying to leave the house.
For example, shopping which actually involves talking to a sales assistant. Meeting new people is one of the top ten most stressful things for me to do, and speaking to shop assistants counts. They're people too, you know... One of the reasons that I find this so stressful is the ever-present risk of appearing to be some kind of mentally-challenged loon. And I'm often told that I'm worrying too much, and that this is not a valid fear.
I offer as evidence an excerpt from my conversation with the sales assistant in the bike shop on Sunday. Bloke in shop (BiS) has just agreed that we need to get the right size of bike for me: he suggests I try out a 55cm frame before buying a 52cm frame (I thought that there would be measuring, but no, all a bit more interactive than that). He gets a suitable bike down from the display.
BiS: "So, you should just try this out and see if it fits."
Me (looking at bike): ""
BiS: "It looks a bit big, maybe, but you should try it to make sure."
Me (looking at bike): "Um..."
BiS: "So, just, uh, try it out, and..."
Me (looking at bike): "Well, you see, um, the thing is, well, um, I don't quite know how to get on it."
BiS: ""
Me (looking at bike): "Um..."
BiS (rallying, it has to be said, with aplomb): "Uh, well, you can just tilt it over like this and then, yes, get on it that way."
As you can see, my fears were completely groundless. Completely. This weekend, I might just play it safe and stay home, do some housework, avoid ever going into that shop again. That sort of thing.
Incidentally it was too big. The bike. 52cm frame it is!
(O~O)
Today's stats
Cycling (in gym) - 1 hour, 13.1 miles [Level 5]
Sunday's stats
Walking - 32 mins, 2.1 miles [to the bike shop and back - shattering]
No comments:
Post a Comment