I took myself off last week for a week-long break in Dubai. Which was lovely. Relaxing. Sunny. And very, very hot. Over 30 degrees C every day all day. Actually a bit too hot for my fragile self, but I managed to cope just the same and conduct much sun-worship.
Then I came home. To a land 20 degrees colder. OK, some of this might have been jet-lag, but I have been cold for the past three days. Deep-down, turn-the-heating-on, where-did-spring-go cold. To the point that I haven't been to the gym (house to cold to get changed into gym clothes) and have had to wear gloves to venture outside for my walk. I never wear gloves. This is quite unexpectedly irritating. It was nice and warmly spring-like when I left - I have no idea what happened in the intervening week, but I want it to stop now!
On top of that I have been lumbered with the now-traditional ear problems that occur post sunshine holiday. Always, right at the end of the holiday, one ear suddenly decides that it doesn't like being submerged in water on a daily basis and ceases to function. Which makes travelling home awkward (can't hear what all the officials at the airport are saying to me, making me look either awkward or just plain dim), and is not helped by the flying. Situation has yet to resolve itself, which means I'm saying "eh?" a lot and looking confused when people talk to me.
So, all in all, not only is exercise bad for you (give me enough time and I'll make my continuing adherence to the 5x50 challenge responsible for all these ills), but so are holidays. Particularly sunny ones...
*sigh*
:o}
Friday's stats
Then I came home. To a land 20 degrees colder. OK, some of this might have been jet-lag, but I have been cold for the past three days. Deep-down, turn-the-heating-on, where-did-spring-go cold. To the point that I haven't been to the gym (house to cold to get changed into gym clothes) and have had to wear gloves to venture outside for my walk. I never wear gloves. This is quite unexpectedly irritating. It was nice and warmly spring-like when I left - I have no idea what happened in the intervening week, but I want it to stop now!
On top of that I have been lumbered with the now-traditional ear problems that occur post sunshine holiday. Always, right at the end of the holiday, one ear suddenly decides that it doesn't like being submerged in water on a daily basis and ceases to function. Which makes travelling home awkward (can't hear what all the officials at the airport are saying to me, making me look either awkward or just plain dim), and is not helped by the flying. Situation has yet to resolve itself, which means I'm saying "eh?" a lot and looking confused when people talk to me.
So, all in all, not only is exercise bad for you (give me enough time and I'll make my continuing adherence to the 5x50 challenge responsible for all these ills), but so are holidays. Particularly sunny ones...
*sigh*
:o}
Today's stats
Walking - 49 mins, 3.29 miles [glove-free! Acclimatising slowly to the arctic blast.]
Friday's stats
Walking - 52 mins, 3.3 miles [still walking with gloves on...]
Thursday's stats
Thursday's stats
Walking - 52 mins, 3.34 miles [stumbling through the cold in gloves and ski jacket]
No comments:
Post a Comment