So at 11pm on Friday off I set for my first night ride.
Now, I was quite nervous about this: 60 miles is a big step up from 30 miles, which was a traumatic horror only 2 weeks ago... But as it turns out, the impact of gale-force winds and fairly testing hills cannot be underestimated. This was 60 miles of fairly flat riding at a nice steady pace, with lots of stopping to catch the group up. And it seemed rather easy, all in all, which might mean that I've actually had my first experience of drafting - because, realistically, I can't be that much fitter than I was. Anyway, it was significantly less traumatic than I was expecting.
I can't say as I entirely see the point, mind. OK, if there's a fantastic dawn, maybe there's more of a point (it was cloudy), but still... You cycle through the countryside (yawn) in the dark and so can't even see the "views" that are apparently normally the point of cycling through the countryside. And I did find night cycling in the true dark (no street lights!) very disconcerting. You have to cycle within the limits of your lights (note to self: Boris needs bigger/brighter lights if we're doing any more night cycling) and that sounds OK until you realise that this means you lose all ability to anticipate what's coming. Going uphill or downhill? You can't tell until you're doing it! And then you're focused on the ground ahead of you and that's just disconcerting and nauseating and ultimately scary. I can't say I'm a fan - but if you're trying it, around the summer solstice is good, because there's not a lot of dark going on!
Nonetheless, that's another 60 miles down and I'm through the first 100 miles! Also, I was not the slowest or weakest cyclist this time (hard to believe, I know, but there you go) and that was a nice change. Boris seemed to have fun also - just as well given he had a mini-service and a brake change beforehand!
Speaking of Boris... Either he's incredibly fast, or I'm incredibly heavy, or I'm missing something. Coasting downhill, surrounded by people on proper professional-looking road bikes, and Boris is getting faster and faster while everyone else is kind of holding steady. This is most noticeable when riding in a group - I'm having to sit on the brakes to not cycle into the person in front, and they're not only not braking but spinning their wheels a bit to keep up speed! What's that about??!! Must learn the secret of holding a nice speed going downhill without braking, rather than my current reality of ever-increasing speed and frantic braking (see Boris's need for new read brakes). Or have a word with Boris about affecting a bit of ennui rather than boundless enthusiasm...
Oh, and buses? Well, there'll be another one along in a minute...
;oD
Friday's / Saturday's stats:
Cycling - 6 hours 30 mins, 60 miles [Friday Night Fever...]
Now, I was quite nervous about this: 60 miles is a big step up from 30 miles, which was a traumatic horror only 2 weeks ago... But as it turns out, the impact of gale-force winds and fairly testing hills cannot be underestimated. This was 60 miles of fairly flat riding at a nice steady pace, with lots of stopping to catch the group up. And it seemed rather easy, all in all, which might mean that I've actually had my first experience of drafting - because, realistically, I can't be that much fitter than I was. Anyway, it was significantly less traumatic than I was expecting.
I can't say as I entirely see the point, mind. OK, if there's a fantastic dawn, maybe there's more of a point (it was cloudy), but still... You cycle through the countryside (yawn) in the dark and so can't even see the "views" that are apparently normally the point of cycling through the countryside. And I did find night cycling in the true dark (no street lights!) very disconcerting. You have to cycle within the limits of your lights (note to self: Boris needs bigger/brighter lights if we're doing any more night cycling) and that sounds OK until you realise that this means you lose all ability to anticipate what's coming. Going uphill or downhill? You can't tell until you're doing it! And then you're focused on the ground ahead of you and that's just disconcerting and nauseating and ultimately scary. I can't say I'm a fan - but if you're trying it, around the summer solstice is good, because there's not a lot of dark going on!
Nonetheless, that's another 60 miles down and I'm through the first 100 miles! Also, I was not the slowest or weakest cyclist this time (hard to believe, I know, but there you go) and that was a nice change. Boris seemed to have fun also - just as well given he had a mini-service and a brake change beforehand!
Speaking of Boris... Either he's incredibly fast, or I'm incredibly heavy, or I'm missing something. Coasting downhill, surrounded by people on proper professional-looking road bikes, and Boris is getting faster and faster while everyone else is kind of holding steady. This is most noticeable when riding in a group - I'm having to sit on the brakes to not cycle into the person in front, and they're not only not braking but spinning their wheels a bit to keep up speed! What's that about??!! Must learn the secret of holding a nice speed going downhill without braking, rather than my current reality of ever-increasing speed and frantic braking (see Boris's need for new read brakes). Or have a word with Boris about affecting a bit of ennui rather than boundless enthusiasm...
Oh, and buses? Well, there'll be another one along in a minute...
;oD
Friday's / Saturday's stats:
Cycling - 6 hours 30 mins, 60 miles [Friday Night Fever...]
No comments:
Post a Comment