Friday, 12 June 2015

173. Off to work we go...

Much to my surprise, I did manage to convince myself to take Boris and cycle into the sunset, erm, cycle to work and back.

This is a huge logistical operation: must make sure that I have everything with me that I need, and that when I get to work I can shower and change and actually do a day's work. Took several days to remember all the things I'd forgotten (shoes, towel, little things like that) but finally the day was here.

The Council have actually improved parts of the (long, long, uphill) route to work - miraculous widening of some paths, for example. Some bits they can't change (which is a shame, as there's nothing quite so terrifying as a long steep downhill into a blind left turn where the only cars the locals seem to drive are behemothic 4x4s). And, as usual, some bits they have decided to improve now - which means once more there are roadworks on my cycle route to work. *sigh* This time at least there is no diversion: on the other hand there is a steep descent into a pedestrian crossing (bad enough) which is not operational as the cars are down to one lane and 3-way lights (slow and confusing); cyclists have an alternate route, but cyclists have just been left to work out how to cross the road and climb the immediate hill without dying in the attempt. Good thing it's not a main cycle route in high usage, then, eh?!

Am completely shattered and rapidly going off pasta. Was proud of myself for making a big bowl (and eating it) last night - with enough left over for today! Ate two thirds of bowl today and then couldn't force myself to eat any more. Will be eating it again tomorrow for lunch. Carb-loading has its definite downsides!

Otherwise... The trip to work was OK (bit slow, but it's uphill and the route is tricky in places - signs for sudden right and left turns late or just missing!). The trip back was OK apart from missing a sign and setting off down a massive hill by mistake. Since apparently "No! Stop Boris!" doesn't work as a braking mechanism, I eventually managed to stop, get off Boris, and walk back up said hill. On the basis that cycling it would have destroyed me enough that I would have missed the signs for a second time and I didn't need to be giving myself extra work...

Posterior is wincing. Back right shoulder is throbbingly painful. I'm shattered. Exercise - it's bad for you - fact!!

/o)

Cycling - 1 hr 43 mins, 15.04 miles [To work!]
Cycling - 1 hr 51 mins, 16.05 miles [Home again!]

No comments:

Post a Comment