Saturday, 8 June 2013

119. The Adventures of Boris, Day 2

I was almost eager for tonight's cycle, albeit that I did spend time this evening looking out the gel seat to affix to Boris' saddle (yes, one 10-mile ride and it's already time for the gel seat. Does not bode well...).

I had researched the route, you see ("ah, that's where I went wrong") and the whole gear issue (gears on left = 2 (just leave in position 1 until you know what you're doing; gears on right = 10, vary as necessary). And so I felt ready for another test ride. Which wasn't as much fun as yesterday because: needed the gel seat; upper back and shoulders were already sore; I was trying to get somewhere specific quickly rather than randomly touring cyclepaths I'd never seen before (and greenery does not interest me). Still, better than running!

Things I've learnt:

1) Still don't understand gears. Well, no, OK, I get what they're for, but I'm never sure what gear I'm in (why are there no numbers?!) and I'm unconvinced that I'm shifting gears in the direction I intended. I mean, I'm shifting gears, but whether I'm going up or down remains something of a mystery until the gear is shifted...

2) There is no requirement to understand gears in order to be able to fit the bike's chain back on to its sprockets. That I can do. Which is just as well...

3) I can now navigate myself (pretty much) to where I want to go (testing out the "cycle to work" route in increasing stages). This does note, however, mean that I can equally navigate back home reliably. An obvious turn one way becomes a "what was that? Should I have turned there?" in the other direction...

4) You can experience pain in your forearms. Never knew that. Well, obviously, they have nerves and stuff so it must be possible, but still... Quite why the middle of each forearm is sore is a mystery to me - but doubtless if I actually read one of the cycling books I have on loan from the library it will explain all!

5) Cakes leave their tins much more easily (and, crucially, in one piece) if they have cooled to the point of not being warm to the touch. Yes, that's right - the hand-mixer has been replaced and the baking is now resuming!!

Tomorrow, I need to find my cycling gloves too. Not because I particularly need them, but because they are the only cool bit of cycling kit that I own. Clad head-to-foot in cycling gear, only the gloves aren't miserably embarrassing... Sad, but true.

:o)

Today's stats
Cycling (outside!) - 1 hr 13 mins, 13.02 miles [to there! And back again (eventually...)!!]

No comments:

Post a Comment