Thursday, 6 June 2013

118. The Adventures of Boris, Day 1

Nice, sunny evening. I dragged myself home, forced myself into my new cycling kit, bribed myself with ice cream, and took Boris out for a bit of a cycle.

Things I've learnt:
1) cycling outside is a very protein-rich experience - no one has previously mentioned the significant amount of flies that are eaten when cycling about the place. Although this is actually less unpleasant than the significant number that just sort of smash into one's face en route.
2) I really do not understand gears. I might possibly have worked out how to move the gears about - but I'm not sure how many there are, whether I'm moving them up or down, and indeed what I'm supposed to do with them, ever. They're not numbered and I don't have an instruction book - I'm fairly sure that this has "disaster" written all over it, but I guess I'll have to go with a gradual trial and error learning process... Or just continue to ignore them altogether.
3) parks are nice to cycle around. Mostly because you can cycle around them and thus don't have to actively try to change direction - me on a bike equals a turning circle of about half a mile.
4) I really do have no sense of direction - I went off to cycle around the cycle routes nearby. Which I did. Without ever actually cycling on the one cycle path I was looking for... In my defence, the cycle paths are almost all along what used to be railway tracks and so have steep embankments on either side and no distinctive features to track by. Except Tescos, apparently, which I liked so much I cycled past it 3 times, regardless of the fact that I shouldn't have been cycling past it at all (completely the wrong direction).
5) I lack confidence and grace on a bike - I can get one foot onto the pedal OK, but the second one won't ever connect with the right side of the pedal (the pedals have "cages" for my feet) and I wobble and veer a lot. But this isn't so much or a problem as long as I stay away from cars. And other cyclists. And pedestrians... 

Apart from that...

Awesome fun. Loved zooming around cycle paths (going... Well, I'm still not sure where, but who cares?!) in the fading sunshine. Much more fun than running along the selfsame cycle paths! And I've just discovered huge parts of the city that I didn't know existed! I am a bold adventurer, tracking through the hidden reaches of the city with my trusty pal Boris!

Of course, tomorrow, I'll not be able to move from the pain in my upper back and shoulder. But that's tomorrow...

;oD

Today's stats
Cycling (outside!) - 1 hr 5 mins, 10.68 miles [here, there and everywhere but where I was supposed to]

No comments:

Post a Comment