Wednesday, 19 August 2015

184. Lights of shame

The desperate search for fitness has begun.

Triumphant return to RPM class to find that it is a new and improved RPM class. The room has been refurbished - nice new slogan "It never gets easier, you just get better" (ah, if only that were true!) - and there are new static bikes. Compared to the old ones... The bikes are no more comfortable to sit on (unfortunately). They can be adjusted in practically every direction so as to "fit" you perfectly - which means I now have no idea how to get a comfortable position out of them (do I adjust the seat height, the handlebars, the seat position or all 3? Or none? Or... Aaargh!): frankly, expecting me to be able to deal with complexity before 7am of a morning is unrealistic. And the resistance lever is now a resistance wheel which led to me routinely lowering resistance when I meant to turn it up, and vice versa.

But the bikes have one more shiny new feature. They have lights. You're supposed to use the bikes in conjunction with a heart rate monitor (which you can hire for a small fee.. Hmmm...), but you can set them up by entering some basic personal statistics. Then, as you cycle along, they change colour to show which "zone" you are working in. Not that I understand the "zones", but the colours are fairly easy to follow (there's a chart on the wall). I am sure that this sounds like a great idea, but... This basically means that the bike is providing a running commentary on how hard it thinks you're working - and it's very judgemental. Not only that, but this is not a private moment between you and the bike - oh, no. The entire room can see your colour.

I can only describe this as zone-shaming. Before, you could push yourself quietly in the corner to whatever degree of effort you decided to be pushing. Now, pushing effort is defined by the bike and everyone knows when you are not making the grade.

I may have to start wearing a mask to RPM classes in order to keep the shame to a minimum. Or cycle harder. So many choices, so little time.

:o)

Today's stats:
RPM - 50 mins [with emphasis on really hard hill climbing]

No comments:

Post a Comment