Wednesday, 17 July 2013

131. Locusts, fire, floods and contact lenses

Another pootle along the seafront, another rather slower than expected result. Delays caused by cobbles, roadworks, people in the way (and deaf to polite "Excuse me, please!" pleas), dogs, a stiff cross-wind and...

My contact lenses. A new addition to the endless list of why I am so slow at this cycling lark. Welcome them warmly!! Early in my ride - still in sight of the house, in fact (ah, the irony) - I got something in my eye and my contact lens did not like this. It then started creating (cue sudden stop as vision distinctly lacking) and ultimately "went missing". After several minutes of rubbing and gurning (and possibly due to the level of invective being heaped upon its head) the contact lens decided to return from hiding. And I resumed my trek...

In other news, I am attempting to reduce my daily caffeine intake. No, really. I am! Obviously, coffee remains a constant of my working day (consciousness being vital) but of an evening now I am embracing the opportunity to try out various caffeine-free beverages. All of which seem to have somewhat miraculous powers (they don't actually claim to be able to bring about world peace, but it can only be a matter of time). In practise this means that I am embracing the "delights" of teas which I have previously generically referred to as "weird sh** tea". How the mighty are fallen... I can't say that I can find much to object to chamomile or even nettle (nettle?!?!) tea, although I do suspect that I am now paying rather a lot of money for lightly coloured and perfumed hot water...

The ultimate purpose of this caffeine-reduction is to make taking caffeine more effective on race day... Indeed, I may need to embrace a few days of even less caffeine in the immediate build-up... Never let it be said that I don't make sacrifices for my, er, art...

(^_^)

Today's stats
Walking - 24 mins, 1.38 miles [literary ramblings] 
Cycling (outside!) - 1 hr 10 mins, 11.46 miles [once more included walking as a fun "extra"]

No comments:

Post a Comment