Wednesday, 13 February 2013

80. Challenge 5 is here!

Ah-ha! All those who have mocked my inability to come up with a challenge for this year - mock ye no more! Challenge 5 is here!

I have been successful in the ballot for the inaugural Ride London 100 on 4th August 2013! (See here: http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Prudential_RideLondon___Events/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100.htm). Woo-hoo!

And at the same time - aaaargh! I had managed to convince myself by now that I wouldn't be successful in the ballot (you know, with my awesome luck), and also that it was a 100km bike ride.... But it's a 100 mile bike ride! Ye Gods!! The furthest I've ever been on a bike on one day is something like 30 miles... Very slowly... And that was 5 years ago! Oh, drat - here goes another 6 months' of training, and there goes June and July...

There are many, many logistical challenges associated with this, erm, Challenge. First out of the gate (not necessarily the most important, but the first that occurs) is my bike. Now, I do own a bike, and it's a perfectly serviceable bike (whatever Jinx might mutter about Miss Marple and going shopping with my basket).... But it's not really what you'd call an outdoors bike. In that I've never actually taken it out of the house to go for a cycle since I bought it. And, actually, the only time when anyone has tried to do this was when the burglar tried to make off with it and achieved little more than knocking the (flat) tyres off their rims (and then cruelly abandoning the bike against a wall outside my house).

In fact.... Well, I'll just have to be blunt. I fear that my bike might be slightly agoraphobic. The trauma you see... It huddles in my kitchen trying to look inconspicuous, and showing absolutely no desire to go outside (where it is windy, wet and cold right now).

While I'm sympathetic, I really don't know what use I might have for an agoraphobic bike now that I desperately need to start training for the RideLondon madness. Perhaps I can get it some counselling?

(@_@)

Today's stats
Walking - 25 mins, 1.48 miles (library and shops - check!)
Cycling (in gym) - 36 mins, 7 miles [Level 5] (panicked frantic training)

No comments:

Post a Comment