Well, thanks to the kind people who organised the "Pedal for Scotland" Big Belter I did finish today's 110-mile sportive. Much to my surprise - I expected to be swept up, but I was obviously close enough to the "must finish by" time to be allowed to continue - at least until I reached Edinburgh and discovered that they had removed the signs directing you to the finish and so took a little added-extra detour... Just what you want after 10 - 11 hours in the saddle.
I'm going with the official time (below) not least as my Garmin lost all power at the 87 mile point (yet another major event without data - I'm cursed to never know exactly how I did in the main events!!). Although as the timing mat was about 5 miles from the start line, and the second one either 5 or 8 miles from the finish at Murrayfield (depending on who you believe), and given I went a bit "off route" right at the end... I have no idea how many miles I did in the time below or in total. Lots, though. Lots and lots.
At about the 40 mile mark I'd had enough - there were lots of hills, and when there weren't I kept trying to fall asleep - and I suspected I was slow enough that I might get swept up, which would have made me happy. Ditto at the 50 mile mark - although I was rather offended when the woman at lunch (just after that) introduced myself and my fellow back-markers to the driver of the broom wagon! Was expecting (and hoping) to be swept up at the 60 and 70n mile marks... By the time I'd slogged my way to 80 miles, I figured that the sweeping would not be happening and the Proclaimers Challenge was back on! Underscored by the fact that the final feed station was still open (it was supposed to close at 4pm and I must have been later than that - but can't tell as that was when the Garmin switched off....). Thereafter it was the usual slog, slog, slog until someone says stop.
Better cyclists than I took advantage of the broom wagon (they were much faster on the straights) - better cyclists than I gave up due to the hills (lot so walking spotted). I only walked uphill once - it was a horrid hill, and I sort of came to a stop half-way up. Man driving past consoled me with "It really is a nasty climb" - yessiree, and not my first or last today...
More later - desperately need some sleep. 4am wake-up call was not fun. And given I left the "start" line at around 7am, and reached the "finish" line at around 6:45pm... Today has been loooooooong.
Still, over 400 miles completed now - nearly there!!
;oD
Today's stats:
Cycling - 110 miles, 10 hours 23 mins 55 secs [includes stopping at feed stations...]
I'm going with the official time (below) not least as my Garmin lost all power at the 87 mile point (yet another major event without data - I'm cursed to never know exactly how I did in the main events!!). Although as the timing mat was about 5 miles from the start line, and the second one either 5 or 8 miles from the finish at Murrayfield (depending on who you believe), and given I went a bit "off route" right at the end... I have no idea how many miles I did in the time below or in total. Lots, though. Lots and lots.
At about the 40 mile mark I'd had enough - there were lots of hills, and when there weren't I kept trying to fall asleep - and I suspected I was slow enough that I might get swept up, which would have made me happy. Ditto at the 50 mile mark - although I was rather offended when the woman at lunch (just after that) introduced myself and my fellow back-markers to the driver of the broom wagon! Was expecting (and hoping) to be swept up at the 60 and 70n mile marks... By the time I'd slogged my way to 80 miles, I figured that the sweeping would not be happening and the Proclaimers Challenge was back on! Underscored by the fact that the final feed station was still open (it was supposed to close at 4pm and I must have been later than that - but can't tell as that was when the Garmin switched off....). Thereafter it was the usual slog, slog, slog until someone says stop.
Better cyclists than I took advantage of the broom wagon (they were much faster on the straights) - better cyclists than I gave up due to the hills (lot so walking spotted). I only walked uphill once - it was a horrid hill, and I sort of came to a stop half-way up. Man driving past consoled me with "It really is a nasty climb" - yessiree, and not my first or last today...
More later - desperately need some sleep. 4am wake-up call was not fun. And given I left the "start" line at around 7am, and reached the "finish" line at around 6:45pm... Today has been loooooooong.
Still, over 400 miles completed now - nearly there!!
;oD
Today's stats:
Cycling - 110 miles, 10 hours 23 mins 55 secs [includes stopping at feed stations...]
No comments:
Post a Comment